Menu
 
Portfolio
 
Terms of Use
 

Mold Castle

Mold Castle, on Bailey Hill in the town of Mold, Flintshire, Northeast Wales.

 

Mold Castle was built upon an existing earthwork. A motte and bailey fortress was erected c. 1072 – possibly by Robert de Montalt, a descendant of Eustace De Monte Alto, a Norman warrior in the service of Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester. This family originated in Monthault, Ille-et-Vilaine, in the Duchy of Brittany, not then part of France, but it has been proposed that they took their name from ‘mont haut’, meaning ‘high hill’, and associated it with this earthwork.

 

This name may have become corrupted, down the years, until it became ‘Mold’. So Bailey Hill may have given the town its name. In 1146 it was captured by Owain Gwynedd. It switched hands on several occasions before a long period under Welsh control during the reign of Llywelyn ab Iorwerth. It remained a defensive structure up until the 13th century. During the English Civil War, Mold was captured by the Parliamentarians, recovered by the Royalists, and fell again to Cromwell’s forces.

 

More posts..

Cheddar Gorge & Caves

  Cheddar Gorge & Caves: People have used the caves in Cheddar Gorge for shelter for 40,000 years. We derive this from evidence found in and around the caves. Cheddar Man is famous as Britain’s oldest complete skeleton. Found buried in Gough’s Cave in 1903,

Read More
Orford Castle

Orford Castle is a castle in Orford in the English county of Suffolk, 12 miles northeast of Ipswich, with views over Orford Ness. It was built between 1165 and 1173 by Henry II of England.   Prior to the building of Orford Castle, Suffolk was

Read More
Seven Sisters Round Barrow

  Older than Stonehenge, the Seven Sisters Round Barrow, Copt Hill, Houghton-le-Spring was excavated in 1877. They found objects from the Neolithic and Bronze Age periods. A burial urn that they found is now in the British Museum. In 2003 a sample of charcoal was

Read More
Royston Cave

Royston Cave is an artificial cave located in Katherine’s Yard, Melbourn Street, Royston, England. It is located beneath the crossroads formed by Ermine Street and the Icknield Way. It has been speculated that it was used by the Knights Templar, who founded nearby Baldock, but

Read More
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
error: