Menu
 
Portfolio
 
Terms of Use
 

Carmarthen Castle

Carmarthen Castle is a ruined castle in Carmarthen, West Wales, UK. First built by Walter, Sheriff of Gloucester in the early 1100s, the castle was captured and destroyed on several occasions before being rebuilt in stone during the 1190s. The castle was captured by Owain Glyndŵr in 1405. Henry VII’s father died at Carmarthen Castle in 1456. During the Wars of the Roses the castle fell to William Herbert and, during the Civil War, was captured by Parliamentary forces. It was dismantled by order of Oliver Cromwell in the mid-1600s.

 

 

The first castle on its current site at Carmarthen is variously dated to 1104, circa 1106 or 1109, and ascribed to Walter of Gloucester, though Ludlow suggests it is more likely that the castle had already been built when Walter was recorded (in 1109) as being sent to defend Carmarthen. An earlier fort existed 1.4 kilometers south at Rhyd-y-gors, built by William FitzBaldwin of Devon on behalf of English King William II, probably after the death of the local Welsh King Rhys ap Tewdwr in 1093. It was last mentioned in 1106. Pembroke Castle had been established in 1102. The castle, originally a timber motte and bailey structure, is believed to have been rebuilt in stone in the later years of the 1100s.

 

 

12th century
It was not too long before local Welsh prince Gruffydd ap Rhys (who had had his lands taken from him by the Normans) attacked Carmarthen Castle. Around 1116 he successfully captured it in a night attack, despite the Normans arranging for it to be defended in a two weekly rotation by local chieftains. Gruffydd dismantled the castle and plundered the surrounding town. Subsequently rebuilt, the castle changed hands several times over the following decades. The North Wales prince, Owain Gwynedd (‘Owain the Great’), destroyed the castle in 1137 and it was again destroyed in 1143. Briefly recaptured in 1144, it was again taken by Cadell (the son of Gruffydd ap Rhys) in 1146 and retained for several years. Cadell’s brother Rhys again captured (and destroyed) the castle in 1195.

 

More posts..

Roman Baths, Bath

  Roman Baths (Bath) – The first shrine at the site of the hot springs was built by Celts, and was dedicated to the goddess Sulis, whom the Romans identified with Minerva. The name Sulis continued to be used after the Romans arrived in Britain,

Read More
Stanton Drew Stone Circles

The Stanton Drew stone circles are just outside the village of Stanton Drew in the English county of Somerset. The largest stone circle is the Great Circle, 113 meters in diameter and the second largest stone circle in Britain (after Avebury); it is considered to

Read More
Snettisham Hoard

The Snettisham Hoard or Snettisham Treasure is a series of discoveries of Iron Age precious metal, found in the Snettisham area of the English county of Norfolk between 1948 and 1973.   The hoard consists of the metal, jet, and over 150 gold/silver/copper alloy torc

Read More
Jórvík

Scandinavian York, referred to at the time as Jórvík or Danish York is a term used by historians for the south of Northumbria (modern-day Yorkshire) during the period of the late 9th century and the first half of the 10th century, when it was dominated

Read More
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
error: