Menu
 
Portfolio
 
Terms of Use
 

Blackness Castle

Blackness Castle is a 15th-century fortress, near the village of Blackness, Scotland, on the south shore of the Firth of Forth.

 

It was built, probably on the site of an earlier fort, by Sir George Crichton in the 1440s. At this time, Blackness was the main port serving the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow, one of the main residences of the Scottish monarch. The castle, together with the Crichton lands, passed to James II of Scotland in 1453, and the castle has been Crown property ever since. It served as a state prison, holding such prisoners as Cardinal Beaton and the 6th Earl of Angus.

 

More posts..

Invergarry Castle

Invergarry Castle in the Scottish Highlands was the seat of the Chiefs of the Clan MacDonell of Glengarry, a powerful branch of the Clan Donald.   The castle’s position overlooking Loch Oich on Creagan an Fhithich – the Raven’s Rock – in the Great Glen,

Read More
Grime’s Graves

Grime’s Graves is a large Neolithic flint mining complex in Norfolk, England. It was worked between c. 2600 and c. 2300 BC, although production may have continued well into the Bronze and Iron Ages (and later) owing to the low cost of flint compared with

Read More
Mold Castle

Mold Castle, on Bailey Hill in the town of Mold, Flintshire, Northeast Wales.   Mold Castle was built upon an existing earthwork. A motte and bailey fortress was erected c. 1072 – possibly by Robert de Montalt, a descendant of Eustace De Monte Alto, a

Read More
Merrivale Standing Stones

Merrivale Standing Stones and avenue – Remains of a Bronze Age settlement and a complex of ritual sites, including three stone rows, a stone circle, standing stones, and a number of cairns – earth mounds associated with burials. The monuments were probably built over a

Read More
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
error: