Menu
 
Portfolio
 
Terms of Use
 

Inverlochy Castle

Inverlochy Castle is a ruined, 13th-century castle near Inverlochy and Fort William, Highland, Scotland. The site of two battles, the castle remains largely unchanged since its construction.

 

Inverlochy Castle was built circa 1270–1280 by John “the Black” Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and Lochaber, and chief of the Clan Comyn. It may have been built on the site of an earlier Pictish fortification and settlement, which the historian Hector Boece (1465–1536) records as a “city” that was destroyed by Vikings.[2] When Robert the Bruce succeeded to the Scottish throne in 1306, the Comyns, his rivals for the crown, were dispossessed, and the castle was unoccupied for a time. In 1431, clansmen of Alexander MacDonald, Lord of the Isles, defeated King James I’s a larger army in the first Battle of Inverlochy, fought close by the castle. It came under the control of the Clan Cameron until 1501.

 

In 1505, the partially ruined castle was granted to Alexander Gordon, 3rd Earl of Huntly, who was charged by King James IV with repairing the castle for use as a Royal garrison. His brother William Gordon, Laird of Gight, became master of Inverlochy and was slain commanding the Camerons at Flodden. In 1645, the castle served as a stopping-off point for the royalist army of James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose during his campaign against the Covenanter forces of the Marquess of Argyll. This culminated in a victory for the royalists in the second Battle of Inverlochy, on 2 February 1645. In the 19th century, the estate was bought by James Scarlett, 1st Baron Abinger, who built a Scottish baronial style mansion to the north-west, which is now the Inverlochy Castle Hotel. Minor enhancements, including the restoration of loops and battlements, were carried out by Lord Abinger in advance of the visit of Queen Victoria in 1873.

 

More posts..

Avebury Stones

  West Kennet Stone Avenue (pictured) was an avenue of two parallel lines of stones that ran between the Neolithic sites of Avebury Ring and The Sanctuary. A second avenue, called Beckhampton Avenue led west from Avebury towards Beckhampton Long Barrow. Avebury Ring is a

Read More
Wookey Hole Caves

Wookey Hole Caves – Fossils of a range of animals have been found including the Pleistocene lion, Cave hyena, and Badger. Wookey Hole was occupied by humans in the Iron Age, possibly around 250-300 BC, while nearby Hyena Cave was occupied by Stone Age hunters.

Read More
Barnard Castle

Barnard Castle is a ruined medieval castle situated in the town of the same name in County Durham. A stone castle was built on the site of an earlier defended position from around 1095 to 1125 by Guy de Balliol. Between 1125 and 1185 his

Read More
Grime’s Graves

Grime’s Graves is a large Neolithic flint mining complex in Norfolk, England. It was worked between c. 2600 and c. 2300 BC, although production may have continued well into the Bronze and Iron Ages (and later) owing to the low cost of flint compared with

Read More
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
error: