Menu
 
Portfolio
 
Terms of Use
 

Tamworth Castle

Tamworth Castle is a Norman castle overlooking the mouth of the River Anker into the Tame in the town of Tamworth in Staffordshire, England. Before boundary changes in 1889, however, the castle was within the edge of Warwickshire while most of the town belonged to Staffordshire.

 

The site served as a residence of the Mercian kings in Anglo Saxon times but fell into disuse during the Viking invasions. Refortified by the Normans and later enlarged, the building is today one of the best-preserved motte-and-bailey castles in England.

 

When Tamworth became the chief residence of Offa, ruler of the expanding Mercian kingdom, he built a palace therefrom which various charters were issued sedens in palatio regali in Tamoworthige, the first dating from 781. Little trace of its former glory survived the Viking attack in 874 that left the town “for nearly forty years a mass of blackened ruins”. Then in 913 Tamworth was rebuilt by Æthelflæd, Lady of the Mercians, who newly fortified the town with an earthen burh. This, however, did little to defend the place when it was again sacked by the Danes in 943.

 

Over the following centuries, there is no more mention of Tamworth as a royal residence, although a mint there struck coins for later Anglo-Saxon kings and eventually for the new Norman monarch, William the Conqueror. The place was then granted to William’s steward, Robert Despenser, who built a wooden castle during the 1080s in the typical Norman motte and bailey fashion. Occupying the southwestern part of the earlier burh, this was the forerunner of the present building.

 

When Robert died childlessly, the castle passed to his nieces, one of whom, Matilda, married Robert Marmion. The Marmion family, hereditary champions of the Dukes of Normandy and then of the new Kings of England, held the castle for six generations from c.1100 to 1294. It was during their occupancy that the castle began to be remodeled in stone, although on one occasion it was also in danger of being demolished altogether. Robert Marmion, 3rd Baron Marmion of Tamworth, deserted King John in 1215 during the turmoil of his reign. As a consequence, the king ordered Robert’s son Geoffrey to be imprisoned, all of Robert’s lands to be confiscated and Tamworth Castle to be demolished. But the fabric had only been partially destroyed by the time of John’s death the following year when Robert’s sons were able to regain their father’s lands.

 

 

 

 

More posts..

Balmoral Castle

Balmoral Castle is a large estate house in Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, owned by Queen Elizabeth II. It is near the village of Crathie, 9 miles west of Ballater and 50 miles west of Aberdeen.     Balmoral has been one of the residences of

Read More
Arundel Castle

Arundel Castle is a restored and remodeled medieval castle in Arundel, West Sussex, England. It was established by Roger de Montgomery on Christmas Day 1067. Roger became the first to hold the earldom of Arundel by the graces of William the Conqueror. The castle was

Read More
Conisbrough Castle

Conisbrough Castle is a medieval fortification in Conisbrough, South Yorkshire, England. The castle was initially built in the 11th century by William de Warenne, the Earl of Surrey, after the Norman conquest of England in 1066. Hamelin Plantagenet, the illegitimate, parvenu brother of Henry II,

Read More
Newark Castle, Nottinghamshire

Newark Castle, in Newark-on-Trent, in the English county of Nottinghamshire was founded in the mid 12th century by Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln. Originally a timber castle, it was rebuilt in stone towards the end of the century. Dismantled in the 17th century after the English

Read More
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
error: